This week, I am meeting with all classes to talk about bus safety. Since many of our students ride the bus to and from school each day and every student will at some point use buses for field trips, teaching bus safety is important, as well as the law. As part of the lesson, students learned about walking around and crossing in front of the bus, expected behavior on the bus, and the location of emergency exits as well as the first aid kit and fire extinguisher. Students also practiced evacuating the bus using the rear exit. Here at Armstrong, we follow the Golden Rule – Treat others the way you want to be treated. We talked about the importance of this rule, even on the bus. If you have a chance, ask your child/ren:
- How should you safely walk alongside the bus? (Make sure you are always at least three big steps away from the side of the bus, behind the yellow line in front of the school. If you have dropped something alongside the bus, let the bus driver know before getting it. Never cross behind the bus).
- How should you cross in front of the bus? (Take three big steps toward the front of the bus, enough to be in front of the crossing arm, and make eye contact with the bus driver. When the bus driver gives you a wave, look both ways and cross the street).
- How do you safely board and exit the bus? (One person boards the bus at a time. While holding the hand rail, walk up the steps. Make sure you watch the person in front of you in case they trip. Also, make sure your shoelaces are tied before boarding and exiting the bus).
- How are you expected to behave on the bus? (Sit with your back and bottom on the seat, facing forward. Make sure the aisle is always clear. Use indoor voices).
- How do you exit the bus in an emergency using the rear door? (Lift the back door handle. Push open the door. Students at the back of the bus exit first. Walk to the exit and leave the bus using the “sit and scoot” method. Move away from the bus).
- Where are the emergency exits and emergency equipment on the bus? (Emergency exits are located on the side windows, on the ceiling, and at the rear of the bus. The fire extinguisher and first aid kit are located next to the bus driver at the front of the bus. None of these should be used unless there is an actual emergency).
- What is the Golden Rule and how can we follow it on the bus? The Golden Rule is “Treat others the way you would like to be treated.” We can follow this rule by listening to the bus driver, using indoor voices, and staying seated. We can use kind words, keep our hands to ourselves, and let others sit with us when they ask.
Thank you for your help reinforcing this important lesson!
School Counselor, Armstrong Elementary School
PH: 508-836-7760, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org